Femme Of The Day: Mariah Carey

On the cover of UK’s Observer Woman Magazine is Mariah Carey. She talks about about how she kept it real, and speaks on her insecurities, racial identity, & her role played in the movie “Precious”.
““I am very insecure about my looks, and I always have been because of being mixed race [Carey's mother is Irish-American and her father was an African-American of Venezuelan descent]. It’s not so weird now, and everyone’s accepting it in a big way, but as a child I felt very, um, out of place and didn’t feel pretty. So taking on that character and having Lee make me older in the way he did, I guess it was freeing because I didn’t have to try in any way to look pretty, and you know, when you grow up with that type of insecurity you don’t always feel pretty.” It is an unexpectedly raw answer. Does she feel pretty now? “Sometimes I feel all right.”

Even though I thought her role in Precious wasn't that big to be raving on and on about, I empathize with her. I could not imagine everyone not knowing that I'm Nigerian. Shoot, thats like denying a part of my identity. *smh.
- Miss Dimplez

  ©La Vida Dimplez - All Rights Reserved.

Template by Miss Dimplez | Top