ADHD x Solange x Black Community

Last night, while flipping through AOL news, I come across one of their featured stories, Solange Knowles diagnosed with ADHD. ADHD stands for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. First of all I wondered, "why is this headline news?"... and then secondly I wondered, "I didn't think black adults could be diagnosed with ADHD.." So, I pulled out all my biology books, searched scholar journals, and did some extensive research. I even contacted some college professors who specialize in genetic predisposition. I found that though it is an uncommon trend, black adults CAN be diagnosed with ADHD...

The AOL article went on to talk about how Solange didn't believe when a doctor told her she had ADHD. "I was diagnosed with ADD twice. I didn't believe the first doctor who told me and I had a whole theory that ADD was just something they invented to make you pay for medicine, but then the second doctor told me I had it." Solange also went on to talk about how the symptoms mess with her daily life. "People think I'm high even when I'm sober," she said. Her high levels of energy and her sporadic speech make people believe she is high. In addition, Solange admitted to telling "silly" lies to make people laugh. She sees herself as having a sense of humor that other people do not always share.

Although ADHD can cause some difficulties, many people with ADHD are very successful in life. There are drugs, like ritilan, or exercise regimes and whatnot... I'm glad she's been diagnosed so she can work on whatever she needs to work on, but at the same time I am sad, because its another disease, us as a black community has to worry about. Get yourself checked out.
- Miss Dimplez

  ©La Vida Dimplez - All Rights Reserved.

Template by Miss Dimplez | Top